About Me

My photo
My life consists of one full-time job after another and I wouldn't have it any other way. I believe that, sometimes, bad things happen for no reason at all. But the strength within gets us through difficult times.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Shane - Meds update


My worst subject in school was Chemistry. It never interested me long enough to hold my attention. I just did what I needed to in order to pass the class.

Now that Shane is on meds, I feel like I am living a chemistry class. Our first month on Concerta was actually pretty good. So many people noticed a big change in him. During the day, it was like magic. But once the meds started to wear off in the evenings, he started to “spin”. He would become highly energized suddenly, difficult to keep focused, getting him to bed was exhausting, and his mood swings would come back in full force. As happy as I was that he was doing so much better in during the day, I was still struggling with him in the evenings. It was very hard that the time I had with him was still a struggle. I wanted to be able to spend some good quality time with him as well.  Not too mention, his football practices will be starting this month and the time he was "spinning" was right at the time football practice would be held.  I spoke to Shane’s doctor and he felt we could switch him to a different medication.

Can I just say….whoa.

We switched him to 20mg of Vyvanse. The time release is supposed to be longer with none of the withdrawal effects he was having with the Concerta.

No offense, but it is like living with a pregnant woman. I can think of no better way to describe it. The change it caused in him has been a bit overwhelming. I was interested to spend the entire day with him yesterday to see how things would go. In the first few hours, he was great! As the day wore on, I saw him exhibit behaviors I have never seen before.

Suffice to say, I now feel like I am putting my poor boy through an array of science experimentation. I called his doctor first thing this morning and left a message that this new medication is not working out. So I imagine we will try something different and start a new process. Everyone responds differently to medications and unfortunately, you just don’t know what is going to happen until you go through the process.

And so the story will continue….



1 comment:

  1. I undersand completely. We may be trying something new with Aj... or at least upping his dose...Again. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete