About Me

My photo
My life consists of one full-time job after another and I wouldn't have it any other way. I believe that, sometimes, bad things happen for no reason at all. But the strength within gets us through difficult times.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Guilt of a traveling mother

A couple weeks ago, I had a business trip in Washington D.C. A few days after I returned, I found this picture in my purse:

I immediately looked at this, saw the airplane, and the child with the giant arms appears to be crying. The guilt started to roll in. I thought that Shane had put this picture in my purse to tell me that he was so sad when I went on my trip and just wanted me to come home and give him a big hug.

When I had a chance to ask him what it was a picture of, he told me that it was a picture of him and his friend, Darby. They are on the playground at school, which is why he drew the clouds to show that they were outside. While they were on the playground, an airplane flew over and they both saw it.

Needless to say, I felt pretty silly and started to laugh. I had completely over analyzed a simple picture. Turns out, my son is doing just fine when I go on my business trips. I just need to figure out a way to deal with my guilt apparantly.

2 comments:

  1. That's so cute! My kids used to think their dad worked at the airport b/c that's where he went every week when he flew out to the client's site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember a story gavin wrote where he had a main character whose parents bullied him and called him names. I immediately took this as a cry for help. With all the tenderness of a concerned parent, we sat on my bed and I asked him how he felt about Daddy and I, how everything was at school, if there was something bothering him, etc. He said he wished he didn't have to do chores, everything was great and he was fine. He kept looking at me like I was insane. So, I asked him why he said those things in his story. He looked like I had jumped on the loony-bin bus and said, "DUH, mom, it's JUST a story... a tall tale. It's not even true. Can I go play video games, now?"

    I felt pretty dumb. Oh well. At least he knows I read his story.

    ReplyDelete