About Me

My photo
My life consists of one full-time job after another and I wouldn't have it any other way. I believe that, sometimes, bad things happen for no reason at all. But the strength within gets us through difficult times.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

So Beautiful, I had to share

I came across a poem last night that brought me to tears.  It describes my son to a tee and it told me two things. 

1.  I am not alone
2. My son is not alone

So many wonderful people and children are out there that are struggling as we do and I am so fortunate to have found these pages where I can find people with similar challenges.  When I feel weak, I draw from their strength.  I also have a new community in which I can offer support.  Shane has a disorder that many people think they know, but really do not understand.  Children with ADHD are different.  Most people avoid them or judge them.  But these children are most often the sweetest, smartest children of the bunch.  But because they are different, people struggle to understand and relate to them.  These children make us adapt and change our own way of doing things.  Not many people can accept that.  It is easier to turn away than to look at yourself and decide how you can change to help another person succeed. 

My son is the best thing that has ever happened to me because he makes me look at myself and change how I approach everything in life.  Embracing that change, has truly been difficult, but very rewarding.  My bond with my child is that much stronger because of it.

So this poem is for my son.  Who loves me unconditionally through all of my imperfections and parental mistakes.

My A.D.H.D CHILD

BY TRACY
http://www.facebook.com/#!/HelpYourADHDChild

He’s bouncin’ off walls, a super ball gone insane.
He runs through your world like an off-rail freight train,
Interruptions are constant, tantrums galore,
When it’s time to do homework, he’s gone, out the door.
The drama is constant, oh his foot fell asleep,
He moans and he wails, the theatrics run deep.
School is a nightmare, the teachers are lost,
If they could only see, he is worth the cost.

He is brighter than most, as most kids are,
And with patience and love, I know he’ll go far,
But what I must take from well meaning friends
Don’t let him do that. Oh these rules that he bends.
You’re not a good parent. Your child’s really rude.
His temper’s Outrageous. He has hands in his food.
He hears and he wonders, just what’s’ wrong with me?

I tell him, your special, you have A.D.H.D.
Now A.D.H.D is a gift from above,
It teaches us how to strengthen our love
It helps to teach your teachers, no two kids are the same.
You have awesome energy that could bring you great fame.
You don’t need much sleep, you never wear down.
You’re silly and funny, when you act like a clown.
You’ve felt lots of pain from what people have said,
But you pray for those people when you go to bed.
So you try every day to make a fresh start,
For God gifted you with an extra big heart.

As I look at my child, he sees through my soul.
My heart feels like busting, as I realize my goal.
I know this boy like no one else could,
He’s blessed to me, he’s strong and he’s good.
So I’ll love him and guide him through the worst of the worst,
And he’ll make a great man (if I don’t kill him first).

I’m kidding of course ‘cause I know what’s to be,
When I look in his eyes, I see a reflection of me.



1 comment:

  1. so, i know i've told you this before, but the teachers in the gifted program often relate a classroom full of gifted children to a classroom full of special needs children. Mentally, physically and emotionally these teachers (and parents) have to invest in these kids who are so high-strung, high-energy and focused on everything but the task at hand. It's so exhausting but no one can even come close to understanding what it feels like to raise these kids and push them to be their best, rather than push them off.

    you're doing great. keep going. =)

    ReplyDelete