About Me

My photo
My life consists of one full-time job after another and I wouldn't have it any other way. I believe that, sometimes, bad things happen for no reason at all. But the strength within gets us through difficult times.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Change #1 - The New Diet

A lot of changes have taken place in our home over the past few weeks. And it has been rather challenging.

After starting the evaluation process, I began talking to a few friends about some short-term solutions on how to help improve Shane’s behavior.

We started with his diet. It was very difficult since Shane has step-siblings who do not have to be on any kind of special diet. I am trying to eliminate as much sugar as I possibly can. It is amazing to me just how much sugar is in everything. I have been on a mission to find things that are natural sugars and complex carbohydrates, eliminated white sugars, refined or processed foods, and foods containing dyes. This means that there are so many things that he loves to eat that he can no longer have such as Corn Pops, Granola Bars, fruit cups, Gatorade, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and I could go on.

I felt it was very important that he get to choose what foods he can eat. So, we took a trip to the store together to pick some new items for him. It was also a bit of a mourning process for him because as we went down the cereal aisle, I taught him how to read food labels and what is an acceptable amount of sugar and what is not. I can live with 2-3 grams of sugar, but anything more than that is a “no-no”. So, as he realized that his yummy cereals were on the list of what-not-to-eat, he cried, hugged the cereal box and said a very sad goodbye. We did this with a few other items as well but I think all-in-all it was important to have him involved so he would understand why we were doing this, not just because I said so.

Now, we only buy fresh fruits and vegetables for him to eat. He has high protein meals. He drinks water and unsweetened Almond Silk – which he thinks tastes just like milk. And any chips or cracker he has is only whole grain and gluten-free. He does still get the occasional treat, after all he is still a kid, but I make sure that it is only on the weekends where I can monitor his behavior. For the most part, he has adjusted to the changes in his diet.

Occasionally he still gets upset or sad when he is not allowed to have something that the other kids have, and that’s okay.

Some parents may judge me for discussing ADHD and the impacts it has on him with Shane, but I have felt that it is very important that he understand why we are making the changes we are. Part of his struggle is that he does not handle change well, so in order for him to understand what is happening, to prepare him for upcoming changes in his life, he needs to understand why. In my opinion, and I’m sure some disagree, I don’t think it’s fair to expect children to go along with something just because I am the adult and he should respect that and listen to what I say. Obviously there is a line here so there will be few times when things do not need to be explained, but I try to be as open and honest with Shane as possible and as often as I can be. Besides, there is no magical cure for ADHD. He will struggle with this his entire life. The best thing I think I can do for him is start educating him now on the tools he needs to manage it so that one day he will be able to be successful in life, on his own.

1 comment:

  1. Dawn - I think you're very wise about helping Shane understand why he needs dietary changes and asking him to check the ingredient and nutrient labels. Since all of us should be careful about eating a diet high in processed foods and sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup, Shane can feel good that changes made for his specific benefit are also helping the entire family. I wish that all children were loved as much as you obviously love yours.

    ReplyDelete